- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli
- 1 lemon
- A splash of olive oil
- A pinch of harissa (chill powder would work well too if you don't have any)
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 10-15 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the chilli – flick out the seeds and white bits for a milder flavour. Finely grate or pare the zest from the lemon. Juice it.
2. Warm a splash of olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and chilli. Stir and cook for 1 min till the pan smells sweet and spicy.
3. Add a small pinch of harissa, the lemon zest, 1 tbsp Demerara sugar, the chopped tomatoes and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pop on a lid. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down. Simmer for 5-10 mins till the sauce is a little thicker. Stir every so often while the sauce cooks.
Add a splash of lemon juice to the sauce. Taste it and add more salt, pepper, harissa or lemon juice if you think it needs it. Serve warm with the roast stuffed squashes. For the recipe click here.