- 300g white basmati rice
- 50g pine nuts or almonds
- 1 leek
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 6 cardamom pods
- A splash of olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large winter squashes, around 2kg each
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 75 mins
1. Warm a splash of olive oil in the frying pan. Add the leek. Season. Stir and fry for 5-8 mins till it’s soft and glossy.
2. Stir in the garlic and ginger. Add the cardamom, fennel and cinnamon. Drain the rice. Stir it into the pan. Pour in 750ml hot water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down. Simmer for around 5 mins till the rice is almost cooked and still a little wet.
3. Slice the tops off the squashes. Scoop out the seeds. Stir the pine nuts and parsley into the rice. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Divide between the squashes.
Pop the squashes on a baking tray or in a roasting tin. Put the tops back on the squashes. Roast in the middle of the oven for about 50 mins till tender. Carefully lift the squashes onto a platter or board. Serve in slices with the Hot Harissa Tomato Sauce. For the recipe click here.