- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 carrots
- 2 shallots
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp honey
- 400g tinned green lentils
- 50g rocket
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the woody tops and the bottoms off the fennel and pick the soft fennel fronds off – set them to one side. Halve the bulbs then slice them into 1cm-thick slices. Scrub the carrots (no need to peel) and slice into batons as big as your little finger. Peel the shallots and quarter them.
2. Scatter the chopped veg in a large roasting tin. Pick the thyme leaves off their sprigs and scatter over, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour over 1 tbsp oil, and toss together till well coated. Slide into the oven and roast for 20 mins, turning the veg halfway.
3. Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the garlic clove. Drain and rinse the lentils. Set aside.
4. Grate the zest off the orange and slide it into a small bowl. Squeeze in the orange juice. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil and whisk (you can use a fork) till combined.
5. When the veg have roasted for 20 mins add the garlic and lentils to the tin and stir to mix, then drizzle over 1 tbsp honey. Stir to combine, then return to the oven and roast for 5 mins to warm the lentils through.
6. Take the veg out of the oven and pour over the orange dressing. Stir to mix, then add the rocket to the tin and toss a few times to mix. Pile onto warm plates, garnish with the fennel fronds and serve.