- 1kg carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion or the white of 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground up (or 2 tsp ground coriander)
- A good splash of olive oil
- A little nugget of butter
- 1.2 ltr chicken or vegetable stock
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- A glug of single cream or a swirl of crème fraîche (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Pop a large saucepan on the hob over medium heat. Add olive oil, butter, carrots, onion, garlic and coriander.
2. Mix. Cover and cook till they start to soften. Add the stock, season and let it bubble up.
3. Turn the heat down. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 mins or till the vegetables are tender.
4. Cool a little then whiz it up (in batches) till smooth. Press through a sieve for extra smooth soup. Pop the pureed soup back in the pan (give it a rinse first). Fold in the fresh coriander. Add a little cream or crème fraîche. Simmer till warmed through.
5. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve warm with an added swirl of cream and some fresh coriander.