- 1 vine tomato
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion
- 25g Kalamata olives
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of ground pepper
- 4 sardines, whole and pan-ready
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 5-6 mins
1. Start by making the salsa: dice the tomato and pop it into a bowl. Halve the quarter-chunk of cucumber, and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Dice the seeded cucumber and add it to the bowl. Finely dice the red onion half. Squash the olives and pull out the stones, then roughly chop the olive flesh. Add the onion and olives to bowl.
2. Add ½ tsp dried oregano to the bowl. Squeeze ½ tbsp juice from the lemon and stir that into the bowl with ½ tbsp olive oil and a small pinch of salt and pepper (remember that the olives are salty). Stir to mix, taste and add a little more lemon juice, salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Set aside. You can make the salsa a few hours before you want to cook the sardines, and store it in the fridge.
3. Preheat your grill to high. Line a grill pan or baking tray with foil. Season the sardines with a little salt and pepper. Pop them on the tray and grill for 5-6 mins till browned and crisp.
4. Arrange the sardines on a couple of warm plates and spoon over the Greek salad salsa to serve.