- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 500ml boiling water
- 150g pearl barley
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp + ½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pollack fillets
- 80g kalamata olives
- 50g peppery salad mix
1. Preheat your grill to high. Fill your kettle and boil it. Crumble the stock cube into a medium pan and pour in 500ml boiling water from the kettle. Add the barley to the pan, pop on a lid and then bring up to the boil. Once it's boiling, turn the heat down and simmer for 12-15 mins till the barley is tender.
2. While the barley cooks, start making the salsa. Peel and finely chop the onion. Scoop it into a bowl. Finely grate in the lemon zest. Squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Add a pinch of salt and stir the onion and lemon juice together to mix. Set aside.
3. Line a baking tray with foil. Rub the pollack fillets with 1 tsp olive oil each and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the fillets on the baking tray, skin side up, and grill for 8-10 mins till the pollack is cooked through - it will flake easily when pressed with a fork.
4. While the pollack grills, dice the olives and stir them into the onion. Taste the salsa and add a pinch of pepper if you think it needs it.
5. Toss the salad leaves with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. When the barley is tender, drain well and divide between 2 warm plates. Add the grilled pollack and salad to the plates. Serve with the olive, lemon and onion salsa and wedges of lemon for squeezing.