- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 150g white basmati rice
- 4 plaice fillets
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 300ml boiling water
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Preheat your grill to high. Peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the red pepper, scoop out the seeds and white pith and dice the pepper.
2. Set a medium-sized pan on a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the diced veg. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the veg are starting to soften and look glossy.
3. While the veg fry, peel and grate or crush the garlic. Tip the rice into a sieve and rinse well under cold water.
4. Add the garlic to the pan with 1 tsp turmeric. Cook and stir for 1 min, till the pan smells fragrant, then tip in the rice Give it a good stir to mix. Pour in 300ml boiling water from the kettle. Pop a lid on the pan then bring it up to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down very low and gently simmer for 8 mins till the rice has absorbed all the water.
5. While the rice cooks, line a baking tray with foil. Lay the plaice fillets on it, skin-side up. Brush them with ½ tbsp olive oil and dust with a pinch of salt and pepper. Slide under the grill for 6-8 mins till the skin is crisp and the flesh is white and opaque – it will flake easily when pressed with a fork.
6. When the rice has absorbed all the water, take it off the heat. Add the spinach to the pan and folk it through to start to wilt it. Pop a lid on the pan and let the rice and spinach steam in the pan for 2 mins. This will finish cooking the rice. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide it between 2 warm plates. Top it with the plaice fillets and serve.