- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tbsp ras al hanut
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 red onion
- 3 vine tomatoes
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp 0% fat Greek style yogurt
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins - Get ahead -
You can mix the chicken with the marinade, then cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hrs to really let the flavours sink in. Take the chicken out of the fridge 30 mins before you want to start cooking to help it get up to room temperature.
1. Fill and boil the kettle. Rinse the rice with cold water then tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down. Gently cook for 6-8 mins till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice.
2. While the rice cooks, zest the lemon into a small bowl and set aside. Juice half the lemon into a medium bowl. Peel and grate in 1 garlic clove and pour in ½ tbsp olive oil. Add ½ tbsp ras al hanut and a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk together. Add the chicken breast mini fillets and turn them a few times to coat (see our tip for marinating the chicken ahead of time).
3. Set your grill to a medium high setting. Line a baking tray with foil. Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Add the onion to the tray, lay the chicken fillets on top and pour over the marinade. Slide the tray under the grill and cook for 6 mins.
4. While the chicken cooks, halve the tomatoes. When the chicken has cooked for 6 mins, take the tray out from under the grill and add the tomatoes. Turn the chicken pieces over and stir the onions, moving them out from under the chicken a little. Return to the grill for 6 mins, till the chicken is browned and cooked through and the veg are tender and lightly charred.
5. While the chicken and veg finish cooking, peel and grate the remaining garlic clove into the bowl of lemon zest. Finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks and add half to the bowl. Dollop in 2 tbsp yogurt and juice in the remaining lemon half. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well. Set to one side.
6. The chicken and rice should be ready. Check the chicken is cooked by slicing into the thickest part of one of the fillets. There should be no pink. Cook a little longer if you need to.
7. Scoop the rice onto 2 warm plates. Top with the grilled chicken and veg. Drizzle over the yogurt sauce and garnish with the remaining parsley.