- 1 leek
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 large potato
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g mixed seeds
- Sea salt
- 800ml boiling water
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook:15 mins
1. Trim the roots and top 3cm off the leek. Halve it, rinse out any grit and finely slice it. Peel and grate the ginger. Warm a pan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil, the leek and a pinch of salt. Fry for 5 mins, stirring often, till glossy.
2. While the leek cooks, fill and boil your kettle. Peel and chop the potato into small pieces. Chop the broccoli florets and stalk to match.
3. When the leek has cooked for 5 mins, add the ginger and the potato to the pan. Cook for 2 mins, stirring, then add the broccoli. Pour in 800ml hot water from the kettle and crumble in the stock cube. Stir, then simmer for 8 mins till the potato is tender when pierced with a knife.
4. After 8 mins, add the baby leaf spinach to the pan. Stir gently to wilt it.
5. Blend the soup smooth using a stick blender in the pan, or ladle it into a blender and blitz. Taste the soup and add more salt or some pepper if you think it needs it.
6. Ladle the soup into a couple of warm bowls. Scatter over the mixed seeds to serve.