- A fat garlic clove for each person
- A good splash of olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- A generous fistful of beans for each person, topped and tailed
- Freshly ground pepper
- A good glug of balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon
- A handful of tarragon - for a French kiss (optional)
1. Peel your garlic cloves and thinly slice.
2. Add a thin layer of oil to a hot frying pan. Add the garlic and sizzle, with a pinch of salt, until golden and crisp. Remove quickly as garlic can go from golden to burnt rather quickly.
3. Set aside. Use the pan and oil to sizzle your prepared beans until crisp tender (this stir-fry method is great for beautiful black or purple beans as a quick sizzle will soften them without washing out their colour). Season as they cook.
4. Just as they start to soften up, splash in a good glug of balsamic vinegar and let it sizzle up and cook down so it forms a little dotty glaze over the beans.
5. Grate some lemon zest over. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Gloss with a drop of oil.
6. Pile into a dish. Finish with the crispy garlic and a bit of tarragon, if you like.