- A bunch of spring onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 300g potatoes
- 700ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 vegetable stock cube
1. Trim the roots from the spring onions and the top 2-3cm if the tops looks dry. Thinly slice the whites and light green parts of the spring onions. Set the darker green tops to one side for later.
2. Peel or scrub the carrot and finely dice it. Finely slice the celery stick. Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves.
3. Get a large pan hot. Add ½ tbsp oil. Swirl in the chopped carrot, white parts of the spring onion and celery with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat. Sizzle for 8-10 mins till the veg have just started to soften.
4. While the veg fry, slice the potatoes into 1cm-thick rounds. Stir them, the garlic and 1 tbsp mustard through the softened veg. Sizzle for 2 mins. Add 700ml boiling water and crumble in the stock cube. Bring back to the boil. Lower heat. Simmer for 10 mins or till the potatoes are tender right the way through.
5. Thinly slice the reserved spring onion greens and add to the soup. Finely shred the parsley leaves and add to the soup right before serving. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve in warm bowls.