- 2 sirloin minute steaks
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 carrots
- 250g radishes
- 1 lime
- 2 shallots
- A handful of coriander
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Unwrap your steaks and pop them on a plate. Peel and finely grate the garlic. Rub the garlic into the steaks with 1 tsp of the cumin seeds, a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tsp olive oil. Set aside.
2. Peel and coarsely grate the carrots. Chop the leaves off the radishes and shred them. Coarsely grate the radishes. Pop the veg in a bowl. Grate in the zest from the lime. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Squeeze in the juice from half the lime. Add 1 tsp olive oil and toss to mix. This is your Mexican slaw. Set aside.
3. Halve, peel and thinly slice the shallots. Set a large frying pan over a high heat and warm it for 1 min. Add the shallots (no oil needed). Turn in the pan for 2-3 mins till just tender and nicely coloured. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and a squeeze of juice from the remaining lime half. Tumble onto a plate.
4. Keep the pan on the heat. Add the steaks. Cook for 1-3 mins on each side, depending on how well done you like your steaks. Pop them on a plate or board and loosely cover with foil. Set aside to rest for a few mins.
5. Finely chop the coriander leaves and stalks. Add them to the Mexican slaw and toss to mix. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
6. Halve the avocado. Scoop out the stone. Scoop the avocado halves out of the skin. Pop the avocados on a plate. Gently mash with the back of a fork in a criss cross pattern. Dust with a pinch of salt and pepper. Squeeze over the remaining lime juice.
7. Serve the steaks with the Mexican slaw, the mashed avocado and charred shallots.