- 150g pearl barley
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 125g raspberries
- 1 tbsp Balsalmic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of mint
- 1 fennel bulb
- ½ cucumber
- 2 duck breasts
- A large handful of rocket
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Tip the pearl barley into a pan and cover with boiling water. Add a pinch of salt. Simmer for 40 mins till tender. Rinse under cold water.
2. Empty half the raspberries into a bowl. Add 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil. Crush with a fork to make a dressing. Season.
3. Finely chop the mint, saving any small leaves to garnish. Finely slice the fennel. Take your halved cucumber. Halve lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Chop into small cubes.
4. Make a few slashes in each duck breast with a sharp knife. Rub with a little salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick frying pan till smoking hot. Place the duck breasts in, skin side down, and cook for 2 mins on each side.
5. Pop the duck breasts onto a baking tray, skin side up. Cook for 8 mins for medium, 10 mins for well done. Cover the breasts and allow to rest for 10 mins.
6. Pour in some of the duck juices into the raspberry dressing and whisk. Tip the cooled pearl barley into a large bowl. Stir through most of the dressing. Add the rocket, fennel, cucumber and mint. Season and toss.
7. Slice the breasts at an angle. Divide the pearl barley salad between two plates. Top with the duck breasts. Drizzle over the remaining raspberry dressing. Scatter over the raspberries and mint leaves.