- 2 corn on the cobs
- 1 onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 large potato, weighing around 250g
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 500ml full cream milk
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 60g feta
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Pull the leaves and silks from the sweetcorn cobs. Slice a sliver off the bases of the cobs, so they stand upright on your chopping board, then run your knife down the cobs to slice off the kernels.
2. Warm a large pan on a medium heat. Add the sweetcorn kernels and toast for 3-4 mins, stirring, till lightly browned. Tip into a bowl and set aside. Take the pan off the heat.
3. Peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the pepper and scoop out the seeds and pith. Finely chop the pepper. Peel and dice the potato. Add ½ tbsp olive oil to the empty pan and set it back on a low heat. Add the chopped veg and pop on a lid. Cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 mins till starting to soften.
4. While the veg cook, peel and finely chop the garlic. Halve the chilli and finely chop it, removing the seeds and white pith if you prefer less heat.
5. When the veg have started to soften, add 2 tsp cumin seeds, the garlic, chilli and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry, stirring, for 2 mins.
6. Add most of the corn back to the pan (keep a pinch back for garnishing) and stir. Pour in the milk and top up with 200ml cold water. Cover the pan with the lid. Simmer on a low heat for 15 mins, till the veg are soft.
7. Finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks. When the veg are soft, stir in most of the parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle half the soup into a blender and blitz till smooth, or use a hand-held blender in the pan, pulsing to half-blend the soup (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
8. Ladle the chowder into two warm bowls. Crumble some of the feta over each bowl. Top with the parsley leaves and a crack of black pepper to serve.