- 1 carrot
- 2 leeks
- 400g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 800g cannellini beans
- A handful of thyme
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 227ml double cream
- 4 chicken legs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 750ml boiling water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 45-50 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill and boil your kettle. Peel and dice the carrot. Trim the roots and top 3cm off the leeks and rinse them under a cold tap. Slice the leeks into 3-4cm-thick rounds. Roughly tear the mushrooms into small pieces. Peel and thinly slice the garlic.
2. Add the carrot, leeks, garlic and mushrooms to a large roasting tin. Drain the cannellini beans and add them to the tin. Scatter in the thyme sprigs.
3. Pour 750ml boiling water into a jug and crumble in the stock cube. Stir to dissolve the stock, then pour it into the roasting tin. Add the double cream and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
4. Pop the chicken legs into a large bowl. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then add the chicken to the tin on top of the veg. Slide the tin into the oven and roast for 45-50 mins.
5. Take the tin out of the oven and check if the chicken is cooked through by inserting a skewer or knife into the fattest part of the leg. The juices should run clear. If they’re still a little pink, cook for 10 mins more before checking again.
6. Divide the chicken and veg between warm plates. Spoon over the creamy sauce and serve.