- 400g shallots
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 400g cooked chestnuts
- 227ml double cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Pop the shallots in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover them. Leave for 2-3 mins, then drain them (this helps make them easier to peel). Peel the shallots and slice them in half.
2. Melt 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil into a frying pan under a very low heat. Tumble the halved shallots into the pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and fry the shallots for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, till golden and tender.
3. Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves. Pick the thyme leaves. Roughly chop the chestnuts into small pieces. When the shallots have cooked for 30 mins, stir in the garlic, thyme and chestnuts. Continue to fry for 2 mins.
4. Pour 227ml double cream into the pan and stir well to combine. Warm through for a final 2-3 mins. Have a taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Pour into a bowl and serve.