- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large or 2 small lettuces, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 30g chives or 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- A large handful fresh sorrel and/or basil
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves only
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ veg or chicken stock cube
- 500-750ml cold water
- 1 lemon or lime
- A swirl of crème fraîche, cream, mascarpone or natural yogurt (optional)
Gorgeous with garlic croutons.
1. Halve your avocados. Scoop out the flesh. Discard the stone. Add to a food processor with the lettuce, chives/spring onions, fresh herbs, pepper and stock cube.
2. Start blending. Slowly trickle the water in till the soup is as thick as you like.
3. Add a grating of lemon/lime zest. Whip it through. Taste. Adjust flavours, adding more herbs, pepper or a little more stock cube, a little salt and/or a squeeze of lemon or lime, as needed.
4. Finish with a swirl of something creamy, if you like. Serve cold.
5. If taking to a picnic, chill for a good hour first. Pour into a clean flask, twist the lid on tightly and it’ll be cool when you arrive.