- 6 chillies
- 1 garlic bulb
- A bunch of spring onions
- 50g cashews
- 400ml sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp dried sea salad flakes
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 50 mins
1. Trim the ends off the chillies and finely chop them. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves. Trim the roots and any ragged greens off the spring onions, then thinly slice them. Finely chop the cashews.
2. Pour 100ml sunflower oil into a large frying pan and warm over a very low heat. Slide in the garlic, chilli, spring onions and cashews, along with 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes and 1 tbsp cumin seeds. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper and very gently fry for 40 mins, stirring occasionally, till everything is very soft. Make sure you keep the heat low.
3. After 40 mins, turn the heat under the pan up to medium-high. Continue to fry for 5-8 mins, stirring frequently, till the garlic, chilli and spring onions have turned golden and are crispy at the edges. Reduce the heat to low again and pour in 3 tbsp tamari and stir in 1 tbsp sea salad flakes. Pour in 300ml sunflower oil and warm through for 1-2 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Spoon the chilli oil into a sterilised jar and keep in the fridge for up to 1 month.