- 1 mug white basmati rice
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 large handfuls of spinach or chard
- 3 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped (to taste – remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large handfuls of cashew nuts
1. Lightly toast your rice in a large lidded pan, just till fragrant. Add a pinch of salt and a glug of olive oil. Stir through.
2. Pour 2 mugs of water over the toasty rice. Let it sizzle up. Pop a lid on. Turn the heat down. Let it cook for 10 mins.
3. While it cooks, sizzle your onion in a separate frying pan, with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4. Once the onions are melting tender, add the garlic and chilli. Let it soften. Fold in the chard or spinach. Add a good squeeze of lemon. Season well.
5. Let the rice steam for 5 mins once the 10 min cooking time is up. Once it’s fluffy and all the water’s gone, tumble into a dish. Pile the chard or spinach on top. Gently fold through.
6. Wipe one of your pans clean. Melt the butter till it starts to froth up. Add the cashews and a pinch of salt. Toast over lowish heat till golden. Scatter over the rice mix. Drizzle any excess butter over the top.
7. Finish with grated lemon zest and a bit of extra chilli, if you like.