- 3 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 50g peppery salad mix
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil onto a baking tray. Slide into the oven to warm for 5 mins. While the tray is heating up, scrub your sweet potatoes, then cut into bite-sized chunks.
2. Remove the baking tray from the oven and tumble the sweet potatoes onto it. Toss them in the oil. Season. Drop on the unpeeled garlic cloves. Roast for 30 mins, flipping the potatoes over halfway through.
3. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the flour on a plate and season well with salt and pepper. Break the egg into a shallow bowl and lightly beat. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto another plate.
4. Hold a chicken fillet down with your palm. Slice into the side with a sharp knife but don’t cut all the way through. Open out like a butterfly. Repeat with the other fillet. Cover them with cling film. Bash them flat so they’re about ½ cm thick.
5. Take a butterflied chicken fillet and dip both sides in the seasoned flour to coat. Then dip it in the beaten egg. Sit the fillet on the breadcrumbs and turn to coat on both sides. Repeat with the second fillet.
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. When hot, add a breaded chicken fillet. Fry for 3-4 mins on each side till crisp and golden, turning with tongs. Pop on a plate, cover with foil and keep warm at the bottom of the oven. Repeat with the second fillet.
7. When the potatoes have 5 mins left to cook, remove the garlic from the tray. Once it has cooled slightly, squeeze the roasted flesh into a bowl. Add 2 tsp oil and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Season and mix. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad leaves. Roughly chop the parsley and add most of it to the salad.
8. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and drizzle over the rest of the garlicky dressing. Place a chicken schnitzel on a warm plate. Serve with the roasted sweet potatoes, the salad and a few wedges of lemon to squeeze. Garnish with the last of the parsley.