- 2 onions
- 500g bunched carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp + 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs & 4 drumsticks
- 2 x 400g tins of butter beans
- 2 mini romaine lettuces
- 200ml crème fraîche
- A handful of tarragon, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 50 mins
We recommend using your largest baking tray or roasting tin for this recipe. If your largest tray or tin is on the smaller side, or you think it looks a little overcrowded, divide the ingredients between a couple of trays or tins – the roast will cook more evenly and you’ll end up with crispier roasties.
The tray placed lower in the oven will need a little longer cooking time, or you can swap the trays round halfway.
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel and thickly slice the onions. Trim the leaves off the carrots (save some of them for later) and leave the carrots whole. Tumble the onions and carrots into a large roasting tin. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and some salt and pepper. Drop the unpeeled garlic cloves into the tin.
2. Pat the chicken thighs and drumsticks dry with kitchen paper and rub 1/4 tbsp olive oil and some salt and pepper into each chicken piece. Place on top of the veg. Slide the tin into the hot oven to roast for 30 mins.
3. While the chicken and veg roast, drain and rinse the butter beans. Trim the very ends from the mini romaine lettuces and remove any ragged leaves. Cut each lettuce in half.
4. After 30 mins, remove the tin from the oven and pluck out the garlic cloves. Set to one side. Place the lettuces, cut-side down, in the tin and turn to coat in the juices. Scatter the butter beans into the tin. Slide back into the oven to roast for 20 mins.
5. Meanwhile, squeeze the roasted garlic flesh from its papery skins into a medium-sized bowl and mash with the back of a fork. Finely grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Stir in the crème fraîche with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Wash a small handful of the carrot tops and finely chop them (see our tip for what to do with the rest). Pick the tarragon leaves off their stems.
7. Remove the tin from the oven. The chicken should be cooked through – check by inserting a sharp knife into the thickest part of the chicken. The juices should run clear. Cook the chicken for 5-10 mins longer if not. Serve the chicken and veg on warm plates with spoonfuls of the crème fraîche sauce, garnished with the tarragon and chopped carrot tops.