- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large sweet potato
- A pinch or 2 of dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 400g tin of mixed beans
- 100g cheddar
- 1 lime
- 150g veggie mix tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and finely chop it.
2. Set a large pan on a medium heat, then add 1 tbsp oil, the onion and sweet potato. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 5 mins, stirring often, till glossy.
3. Stir in the garlic, with a pinch of dried chilli flakes (they’re spicy, so use as much or as little as you prefer – you can add a little more later if you like) and 2 tsp Cajun seasoning. Stir and fry for 1 min. Pour in the tinned cherry tomatoes. Tip in the mixed beans with the liquid from their tin. Give everything a stir to mix.
4. Pop a lid on the pan (you can use a baking tray if you don’t have a lid) and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, till the veg are tender and the chilli is thick. If the chilli seems to be drying out, turn down the heat and add a splash of water.
5. While the chilli simmers, coarsely grate the block of cheddar.
6. Squeeze the juice from half the lime into the chilli. Stir, taste and add a pinch more salt if you think it needs it. Ladle the chilli into 2 warm bowls. Top with the grated cheddar. Serve with the veggie tortillas on the side for scooping, and a wedge of lime for squeezing.