- 500g carrots
- 1 onion
- A stick of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- A gloss of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Vicki says, "Carrots are really versatile, with great Vitamin C and beta carotene that are reported to support eye health."
1. Preheat your oven to 200ºC/Gas 6. Place a roasting tray on the top shelf to heat up.
2. Peel or scrub your carrots. Cut into 2 cm dice. Tumble into the warmed roasting tray. Gloss with oil. Season well. Roast for 35 mins or till tender and a little charred around the edges.
3. Halve, peel and finely dice your onion. Finely dice your celery.
4. Peel and finely chop one and a half of your garlic cloves (the other half is for your gremolata).
5. Set a large saucepan or pot over high heat. Gloss with oil. Stir in your veg with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Lower heat. Cook till just tender and glossy. Add your boiling water or stock. Simmer while the carrots roast.
6. Fold your carrots through the simmering stock. Keep on a gentle heat while you make the gremolata.
7. Finely chop your parsley and the reserved garlic. Add it to a bowl. Grate in the lemon zest. Add a good pinch of salt. Crush and chop everything together so it’s like a slightly dry pesto.
8. Blend the soup till smooth. Bowl up. Sprinkle the gremolata on top. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.