- 2 courgettes
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 firm mango
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- A bit of red chilli, deseeded and sliced lengthways
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 2 tsp honey
- A pack of 8 fresh scallops
- A lump of butter
- A handful fresh coriander leaves
- 100g roasted peanuts, roughly crushed, to serve
Delicious with a cold beer - try a cold Whitstable Ale or one of our stunning rosés, like the Vin de Pays du Gard, Domaine de la Tour 2007. Scrumptious.
1. Using a potato peeler, peel the courgettes along their length, then just keep going, making strips of the flesh until you reach the seed pod in the centre. Nibble the seed pod while you cook or thinly slice it and add it to the salad. Peel the carrot in the same way.
2. Peel one side of the mango using a vegetable peeler and then shave off long, thin slivers of the mango's flesh using the peeler, so it's a bit similar in shape and texture to the courgettes and carrots. Continue around the whole of the mango until you've used most of it up.
3. Mix the courgettes, carrot and mango with the garlic, chilli, salt, lime juice and zest, and honey. Divide the salad between plates.
4. Place a frying pan big enough for the scallops over high heat. Add a lump of butter. Once it starts to froth up, add the scallops. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden, on each side. Season. Plonk the scallops on top of the salads.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and crushed peanuts.