- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 red onion
- 250g cherry vine tomatoes
- 250g bunched radishes
- 400g tin of black beans
- A handful of coriander, leaves only
1. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off the lemon. Use a small sharp knife to slice any white pith off the skin, then thinly slice the skin. Pop in a large mixing bowl. Slice the white pith off the lemon, then slice the juicy flesh out of the papery membranes in segments.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Toss in 1 tsp cumin seeds and toast for 1-2 mins till fragrant. Tip into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Turn the heat down to low. Pour 1 tbsp oil into the pan. Add the lemon segments. Fry for 30 secs- 1 min, turning once, till lightly caramelised. Tip into the bowl with the lemon skin. Pour in any juice and oil from the pan. Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Peel, stone and roughly chop the avocado. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Halve the tomatoes. Trim the leaves off the radishes (radish leaves have a peppery flavour and are packed with flavour. You can add them to this salad if you prefer). Quarter or halve the radishes. Pop all the veg in the bowl with the lemon.
5. Drain and rinse the black beans. Tip them into the bowl of veg.
6. Tear the coriander leaves into the bowl. Add the toasted cumin seeds. Toss to mix. Pile the salad onto a couple of plates and serve.