- 4-6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Sea salt
- A couple of knobs of butter or a few glugs of olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- A large handful of fresh, soft green herbs (basil, dill, parsley, mint, tarragon…)
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Preheat your grill to high (or heat your oven to its highest setting).
2. Pop the spuds and garlic into a large pot. Fill it with water, add a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Boil the potatoes and garlic till mashably tender, then drain.
3. Add some butter or olive oil and plenty of black pepper. Crush the potatoes a bit. Keep them a little dry and don’t fully mash them – you want them slightly chunky.
4. Taste the potatoes and add more salt, pepper or butter/oil if needed. Finely chop the herbs and stir them through.
5. Warm a small ovenproof frying pan on the hob. Gloss generously all over (sides and base) with butter or oil.
6. Tip the herby crushed potatoes into the pan and smooth over, making a large potato cake. Cook the spuds on a medium-high heat till the sides start to brown a little.
7. Slide the pan into the oven to brown the spuds on top. Let the potato cake cool a little before turning it out onto a serving dish.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature.