- 4-6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 fat garlic cloves, peeled
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A large handful of fresh, soft green herbs (basil, dill, parsley, mint, tarragon…)
- A couple of knobs of butter*
* Swap it out for olive oil if you like but it’s really lovely with butter.
1. Preheat your grill to high (or heat your oven to the highest setting).
2. Pop your spuds and garlic into a large pot. Fill with water. Add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil. Bubble away till mashable.
3. Drain. Add some butter and plenty of pepper. Crush the potatoes a bit. Keep them a little dry and don’t fully mash them as you want it chunkyish.
4. Taste. Adjust salt, pepper and butter if needed. Finely chop your herbs. Stir them through.
5. Warm a smallish frying pan. Gloss generously all over (sides and base) with butter or oil.
6. Tumble your herby crushed spuds into the pan and smooth over, making a giant potato cake. Cook over medium-high heat till the sides start colouring up.
7. Pop in the oven to brown on the top. Let it cool a little before turning out onto a serving dish.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature.