- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 litre veg or chicken stock
- 1 head of broccoli, about 300g, roughly chopped
- 200g feta
- 4 tbsp toasted walnuts, plus more to garnish, if you like
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Warm a large pot on a medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil, the onion and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook till tender.
2. Stir the potato into the pot. Pour in half the stock and simmer till the potato is tender, around 10-15 mins.
3. Add half the remaining stock and let it warm through. Add the broccoli and fold through. Cook for 3-4 mins till just tender but still bright green.
4. Add half the feta and the walnuts. Whizz the soup in a food processor or blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Add a few more walnuts or little more cheese, if you like. Trickle in more warm stock if the soup is too thick. Blend till just right.
5. Souped Up
This soup is delicious hot or cold, and perfect served topped with a few extra walnuts and crumbles of feta.
You could also use this flavour combination to make a fresh pesto: whizz raw broccoli with some toasted walnuts and cubes of feta, and serve folded through cooked bulgar wheat or pasta.