- 1½kg broad beans
- 50g vegetarian Italian hard cheese
- 30g almonds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 125g mozzarella
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 5 mins
1. Fill a large pan with water and add a big pinch of salt. Pop the pan onto the hob to come to the boil. Meanwhile, pod the broad beans. When the water is boiling, add the broad beans. Simmer for 2-3 mins, till just tender, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the broad beans to a sieve. Rinse the beans with cold water to stop them cooking, then shake dry. Squeeze the green broad beans from their grey casings into a bowl and set aside. Discard the grey casings.
2. Transfer the prepared broad beans into a food processor and grate in the cheese. Add the almonds and 1 tsp dried oregano. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Peel and grate in the garlic cloves. Add most of the mint leaves. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and drizzle in 3 tbsp olive oil. Turn the food processor on and whizz till smooth, then taste and add more salt, pepper, olive oil or lemon juice, if needed. No food processor? Crush everyting together in a big pestle and mortar, or crush the broad beans with a potato masher and finely chop the almonds. Grate the garlic and lemon zest, and finely chop the mint leaves. Stir them all together with the olive oil and seasoning to make a chunkier mix.
3. Heat a griddle pan to a medium-high heat, and drizzle 4 slices of bread with a generous quantity of olive oil. When the griddle is hot, add the bread slices to the pan. Cook the bread for 2-3 mins on each side, till toasted and lightly charred.
4. Arrange the toasted bread on plates and spoon the broad beans on top. Serve toppedd with with torn mozzarella, the remaining mint leaves and an extra drizzle of oil on top.