- A few splashes of olive oil
- 6-8 bangers
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 1 green cabbage, cut into chunky wedges (about 6)
- 3 garlic cloves, whole but crushed flat and peeled
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A nugget of butter
- 1 bottle of beer or 300ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp caster sugar or honey
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
2. Brown the bangers in a frying pan with a little oil. Push to the sides of the pan. Add the bay leaves, cabbage wedges and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook till each side of the cabbage is just golden. Transfer the browned cabbage, bangers, bay and garlic to an ovenproof dish. They should fit snugly.
3. Place the pan you used earlier back on the heat. Add the butter. Pour in the beer or stock. If beer, swirl in a bit of sugar or honey. Reduce for a moment. Add a little more sugar/honey or seasoning, as needed.
4. Pour this over the cabbage and bangers. Cook for about 25 mins in the oven, or till the cabbage is tender and the bangers are done.
5. Perfect served with fluffy mash or a thick slab of bread to mop up.