- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 500g beetroot
- A handful of tarragon, leaves only
- 750ml boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 orange
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Peel and chop the onion. Peel and crush or grate the garlic. Scrub the carrot and finely dice it.
2. Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till slightly softened.
3. While the onions are cooking, trim the beetroot and coarsely grate it. When the veg have softened, add the beetroot to the pan. Pick the tarragon leaves and add half (save the rest for garnishing). Top up with 750ml boiling water and crumble in the stock cube. Stir and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 mins.
4. Finely grate the orange zest and set aside. Squeeze the juice into the pan. Use a stick blender to whizz the soup smooth, or carefully pour the contents of the pan (in batches if necessary) into a food processor and blend.
5. Serve the soup in warm bowls garnished with the orange zest and reserved tarragon.