- 500g beetroot
- 2 apples
- 2 red onions
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A large handful of flat leaf parlsey, leaves only
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: nil
1. Scrub the beetroot clean, then peel and coarsely grate them into a large bowl. If you have a food processor, you can whizz the beetroot through the grater attachment. Cut the apples into quarters and slice out the cores. Coarsely grate the apples (including the skin). Peel the onions and thinly slice them. Stir the apple and onion into the beetroot.
2. Halve the pomegranate. Hold 1 half in the palm of your hand, cut-side down, over the bowl. Using a wooden spoon, bash the pomegranate. The seeds should tumble through your fingers into the bowl. Repeat with the other half, pulling any reluctant seeds out from the skins.
3. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic. Pop it into a separate small bowl. Squeeze in 1 tbsp juice from the lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir together to make a dressing.
4. Finely chop the parsley leaves and add them to the beetroot relish. Pour in the lemon dressing and stir well to mix. Serve straight away.