- ½ mug white rice, quinoa or bulgur wheat
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 mug of water
- A (approx 250g) bundle of French, green or runner beans
- 3 tbsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey or agave syrup, plus a little extra
- 1 lemon
- A large handful of walnuts, roughly chopped (or, any other nuts or seeds will do)
This dish is perfect as is, but you could top it off with crumbled feta or slivers of cooked bacon if you like.
1. In a hot frying pan, toast the quinoa, bulgur or rice for a min. Add a little drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Stir, then add the water. Cover the pan, lower the heat and cook for 12 mins. Take the pan off the heat, lid on, and let the grains steam for 5-10 mins.
2. Top and tail the beans then cut them into 3-4cm pieces. Steam or boil the beans for 3-4 mins, till just tender, then drain.
3. Whisk 4 tbsp olive oil with the mustard and honey/agave. Taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice if you think it needs it.
4. Season the grains with a little salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, grated lemon zest and the beans.
5. Drizzle in the dressing, little by little, folding it through and tasting as you go, till the grains and beans are dressed to your liking.
6. Toast the walnuts in a frying pan till fragrant. Drizzle in a little honey/agave and add a pinch of salt. Fold together, remove from the heat and scatter the toasted nuts over the beans to serve.