- 2 red onions
- 1 fennel bulb
- A few glugs of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A 200g pack of feta
- 1 lemon
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 1 pomegranate
- 50g watercress
- 35g almonds, crushed
- 25g sesame seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds or ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Rinse, trim, halve and thickly slice the fennel. Pop in a roasting tin with a glug of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 mins.
2. Pop the feta into a small ovenproof dish. Pour over a glug of olive oil. Season. Bake for 15 mins on the shelf below the veg till just golden. Fill the kettle and boil it. Grate or pare the zest from the lemon. Juice it.
3. Rinse the bulgar wheat and tip it into a pan. Pour in 250ml hot water from the kettle. Add a pinch of salt, the lemon juice and lemon zest. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down. Cover. Simmer for 8-10 mins till the water has been absorbed.
4. Roll the pomegranate back and forwards on your work surface a few times, pressing down. Halve it. Scoop out the seeds, picking them off the white membranes. Pop them in a bowl. Rinse, pat dry and roughly chop the watercress.
5. To make the dukkah, crush the almonds. Add the crushed almonds with sesame seeds to a frying pan with 1 tsp each of the coriander seeds or ground coriander and cumin seeds. Toast over a medium heat for 2-3 mins. Stir till they are golden, aromatic and start popping.
6. Tip the dukkah mix into a food processor. Blitz till finely chopped. If you don’t have a food processor, crush the dukkah with a pestle and mortar or pop in a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin.
7. Take the roast veg out of the oven. Add the bulgar wheat, most of the pomegranate seeds and the watercress to them. Stir together to mix. Divide the bulgar wheat between two plates or pop on a large platter. Scoop the feta on top the bulgar wheat. Scatter over a few spoonfuls of the dukkah and the rest of the pomegranate seeds to serve.