- 500g Jersey Royal potatoes
- Sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 200g asparagus
- 4 spring onions
- A handful of chives
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Put 1 large and 1 smaller pan of water on to boil. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1cm-thick slices. When the large pan is boiling, add a pinch of salt and the potatoes. Simmer for 12-15 mins till tender when pressed with the tip of a knife.
2. When the small pan boils, carefully add the whole eggs. Simmer for 7 mins (8 for firmer yolks). Lift the eggs out and plunge into a bowl of cold water.
3. Meanwhile, snap the ends off the asparagus (they'll break at the right point when bent). Trim the spring onions. Halve them widthways to make 8 pieces. Halve each piece lengthways to make 16 short lengths. Finely chop the chives.
4. Finely grate some zest off the lemon and set aside. Juice half the lemon into a small bowl. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp each mustard and olive oil. Peel and crush the garlic and add that with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together to make a dressing. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
5. Warm a dry griddle or frying pan over a medium heat for 2 mins. Add the asparagus and spring onions. Cook for 4-5 mins, turning the veg a few times, till a little charred and tender.
6. The potatoes should be tender. Drain and tip them back into the pan. Add half the dressing and toss to mix. Arrange on 2 plates. Add the asparagus and spring onions to the plates.
7. Drain the eggs. Peel, halve and nestle them in the salads. Scatter over the chives and lemon zest. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.