- 500g Jersey Royal new potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 200g asparagus
- 4 spring onions
- A handful of chives
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Put 1 large and 1 smaller pan of water on to boil. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1cm-thick slices. When the large pan is boiling, add a pinch of salt and the potatoes. Simmer for 12-15 mins till the potatoes are tender when pressed with the tip of a knife.
2. When the small pan boils, carefully add the eggs. Simmer for 6-7 mins (8 for firmer yolks). Lift the eggs out and plunge into a bowl of cold water. This stops them cooking further.
3. Meanwhile, snap the woody ends off the asparagus (they'll break at the right point when bent). Trim the roots and any ragged greens off the spring onions. Halve them widthways to make 8 pieces. Halve each piece lengthways to make 16 short lengths. Finely chop the chives.
4. Finely grate the zest off the lemon and set aside. Juice half the lemon into a small bowl. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp each mustard and olive oil. Peel and crush the garlic and add that with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together to make a dressing. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
5. Warm a dry griddle or frying pan over a medium heat for 2 mins. Add the asparagus and spring onions. Cook for 4-5 mins, turning the veg a few times, till a little charred and tender.
6. The potatoes should be cooked by now. Drain and tip them back into the pan. Add half the dressing and toss to mix. Arrange the potatoes on two warm plates for a main meal, or in a large serving bowl if you're serving it as a side salad. Add the charred asparagus and spring onions to the potatoes.
7. Drain the eggs. Peel, halve and nestle them in the salad. Scatter over the chives and lemon zest. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.