- 500g Jersey Royal potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- A bundle of asparagus
- 4 duck eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 45g butter
- A handful of chives
10 mins (prep) | 30 mins (cooking)
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Place a large roasting tin on the top shelf of your oven to heat up.
2. Give your potatoes a good scrub. Cut into ½-1cm slices. Toss into the warmed roasting tin. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season. Give them a shake to coat the potatoes in the seasoned oil. Roast for 25 mins or till golden.
3. Peel and finely chop your garlic. Grate or pare the zest from your lemon. Juice it. Snap the woody ends from your asparagus.
4. When the potatoes are golden, stir the garlic and lemon zest through them. Pile the asparagus on top. Put back in the oven for 5 mins or till the asparagus is just tender.
5. Place your egg yolks in a large bowl with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Season. Melt your butter in a pan. As soon as it's melted, gradually whisk the butter into your egg yolks till you have a creamy sauce. Spoon the sauce into the butter pan. Set aside.
6. Fill a small pan with boiling water. Bring back to the boil.
7. Crack one egg into a small dish. Gently slide the egg into the water. Pop the lid on. Cook till the white is set and the yolk is as firm or soft as you like it. Remove with a slotted spoon and pop the egg in a bowl. Repeat with the rest of the eggs.
8. Finely chop your chives, saving a few sprigs for later. Mix the chopped chives through the potato/asparagus mix, along with a drizzle of lemon juice. Pile onto plates. Top with your poached eggs. Gently warm the butter sauce and spoon over the top. Garnish with the saved chives and a pinch of pepper.