- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large onion (red or white), finely chopped
- 200g speckled green lentils
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 400g water or veg stock
- 6–8 carrots, halved lengthways
- 1/2 mug of natural yogurt
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- A pinch of chilli powder (optional)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- A handful of fresh coriander or parsley
In place of carrots, try roasted red pepper ribbons, chopped greens cooked in a little oil and garlic, roasted cauliflower florets or serve on a bed of crisp lettuce leaves.
1. Heat a pot over high heat. Add the oil and the onions. Lower heat. Cook till glossy and tender. Stir often.
2. Increase heat. Add and cook the lentils for a mo. Pour in the water. Let it bubble up. Lower heat. Cover. Cook for 40 mins, or till the liquid is absorbed.
3. Warm a roasting tray in a 220°C/Gas 8 oven. Mix carrots in a little oil. Season well. Roast in the warmed tray till golden, turning once.
4. Mix the yogurt, cumin seeds, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Stir in the cooked lentils, carrots, and a pinch of chilli powder. Finish with a spritz of lime juice, zest and lots of fresh herbs. Taste. Serve the yogurt alongside to dollop over as you eat.