- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large onion (red or white), finely chopped
- 200g speckled green lentils
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 400g water or veg stock
- 6-8 carrots, halved lengthways
- ½ mug of natural yogurt
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- A pinch of chilli powder (optional)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- A handful of fresh coriander or parsley
In place of carrots, try roasted red pepper strips, chopped greens cooked in a little oil and garlic, roasted cauliflower florets or serve spooned over crisp, fresh lettuce leaves.
1. Heat your oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 8. Warm a pot on a high heat. Add the oil and the onions, then lower the heat and cook, stirring often, till the onions are glossy and tender.
2. Turn the heat back up again and tip in the lentils, then stir and cook for a min or 2. Pour in the water or veg stock, let it bubble up then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook the lentils for 40 mins, or till the liquid is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, pop a roasting tin into the oven to warm up. Toss the carrots in a little oil with plenty of seasoning. Tip the carrots into the warmed tin and roast till golden, turning once.
4. Mix the yogurt with the cumin seeds, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Fold the roast carrots through the lentils, adding a pinch of chilli powder if you'd like a kick of heat. Finish with a spritz of lime juice, a few pinches of lime zest and handfuls of fresh herbs. Serve with the cumin yogurt on the side for dolloping as you eat.