- 500g vension mince
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely minced
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 50ml balsamic vinegar, plus extra for cooking
- 4-6 pears (one per burger)
- A few splashes of olive oil and/or a little butter
- A handful of watercress
- A crumbling of blue cheese or a dollop of chutney (optional)
- 4-6 burger baps
1. Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Mix the mince with a hit of salt and pepper, the rosemary, the onions, a pinch of chilli powder and the balsamic. Mix well. Divide mix into 4-6 patties.
3. Peel the pears. Slice from top to bottom in 1-2cm thick panels, removing stems and seeds.
4. Get a large frying pan hot. Sizzle the burgers on each side, till nicely coloured, sloshing a little balsamic vinegar over as they cook. Once golden, pop the burgers into the oven for 10-15 mins to finish cooking through. Test doneness by using the point of a knife to peek into the centre of one of the burgers. A little pinkness is fine if you're happy with them a little rare.
5. Pan fry the pears in a splash of oil or butter in a single layer till nicely coloured on each side.
6. Bundle your burgers into the baps with the pears, a mound of watercress and a hit of chutney or blue cheese, too, if you wish.