- 6 sausages or 12 chipolatas
- A splash of olive oil
- A drop of balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful or two of seasonal veg*
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- A large glass of red wine
- A little knob of butter
- A bit of fresh rosemary and/or thyme
* We’ve gone for Mediterranean veg here: halved tomatoes and slices of red pepper but you can add just about anything. Red onions, aubergines, root veg (beetroot’s gorgeous with red onion and lots of rosemary), carrots, celery or leeks.
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
2. Prick the sausages all over with a fork or the tip of a knife. Place a large frying pan over high heat. Add a splash of oil. Fry the sausages for a few mins, till starting to pick up a little colour. Season with pepper.
3. Add the veg and garlic. Let it pick up a bit of colour. Season. Add a drop of balsamic, just enough to gloss the sausages and veg.
4. Pour in the wine. Let it bubble up for a moment. Then, tumble everything into a roasting tin. Add a little knob of butter and a few pinches of rosemary and/or thyme (save a few fresh herbs to scatter over at the end).
5. Cook in the oven for 30 mins or till the sausages are nicely coloured and cooked through. Finish with some fresh herbs and serve with couscous, rice or a creamy mound of mash (and lots of the sauce!).