- 150g white basmati rice
- 450ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower, coconut or olive oil
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- A head of broccoli
- 50g teriyaki sauce
- 25g sesame seeds
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover the pan, bring back to the boil and then turn the heat right down. Very gently simmer for 8 mins till the rice has absorbed all the water. Take the pan off the heat and let the rice sit in the pan, lid on, for 5-8 mins to steam the rice.
2. Put a deep frying pan or wok on a medium-high heat and add ½ tbsp oil and the chicken. Fry for 6 mins, turning the pieces once or twice, till the chicken is browned all over.
3. While the chicken fries, peel and finely slice the onion. Halve the red pepper and scoop out the seeds and white pith. Finely slice the red pepper. Slice the florets off the broccoli stem (you can keep the stem for another stir-fry) and chop the florets into small pieces.
4. Scoop the chicken out of the pan and set aside on a plate. Add another ½ tbsp oil to the pan and add the veg. Stir fry for 4-5 mins till they are just starting to soften.
5. Tip the chicken back into the pan. Add the teriyaki sauce and pour in 150ml boiling water. Stir to mix, bring to the boil and then simmer for 3-4 mins till the veg are just tender but still with a little bite.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide between 2 warm plates or bowls. Taste the teriyaki and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Top the rice with the chicken and veg and sprinkle with the sesame seeds to serve.