- ½ large head of red cabbage, or 1 small head
- 1 tbsp olive or sesame oil
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- A pinch of freshly chopped red chilli (optional)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- A few splashes of soy sauce
- A large handful of fresh coriander or chervil, chopped
- A handful of toasted sesame seeds (optional)
It’s absolutely gorgeous with pan-fried mackerel fillets or pork chops finished with a touch of ginger and lime.
1. Finely shred the cabbage. Pop into a large, lidded pot with the oil, honey, vinegar, chilli and half of the ginger.
2. Turn the heat to high and sizzle for a moment, folding all the ingredients together. Pop a lid on and cook for an hour, stirring every now and then.
3. Once the hour’s up, taste. Add the remaining ginger. Just add enough to give a bit of kick and a fresh gingery zest. Splash in a touch of soy sauce, to taste.
4. Sizzle for a moment, until the cabbage is sticky, sweet and spicy… with a hint of salty soy.
5. Toss in a handful of herbs. Serve.