- 1 chicken stock cube
- 12g dried porcini
- 100g beetroot
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 500g new potatoes
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 100ml single cream
- A hanful of dill
- 600ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Crumble the stock cube into a measuring jug and stir in 600ml boiling water. Add the dried porcini mushrooms and set aside to infuse.
2. Peel the beetroot and finely slice into matchsticks. Put in a bowl with a large pinch of salt. Scrunch together. Pour in 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar. Stir and set aside to pickle.
3. Scrub the potatoes and chop into 1cm cubes. Chuck in a large pan and cover with boiling water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Drain and leave to dry in the colander.
4. While the potatoes are boiling, thickly slice the mushrooms. Peel and grate the garlic. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a heavy based pan over a medium heat. Tip in the diced chicken leg. Fry for 5-6 mins, stirring occasionally, till golden on all sides. Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon onto a plate.
5. Pour in ½ tbsp oil back into the pan. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 4 mins till the veg has softened. Add the chicken and any resting juices to the pan. Pour in the porcini and porcini infused stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 mins.
6. Tip the potatoes onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and season. Roast for 20 mins till crisp and golden. Turn the potatoes after 10 mins.
7. Finely chop the dill stalks. Ladle a couple of spoonfuls of the stock from the chicken pan into the single cream. Mix, then pour into the chicken pan. Cook for 2 mins till warmed through. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
8. Roughly chop the dill leaves. Add half to the chicken and the remainder to the pickled beetroot. Serve with the roasted potatoes.