- 500g of beetroot
- 1 red onion
- 2 plums
- 1 celery stick
- 1 carrot
- 1 chilli
- 2 star anise
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
This recipe is from our Superb Souping Box.
Full of veg, spices and herbs to make three delicious soups each week...
1. Heat your oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Set a large roasting dish on the top shelf to heat up.
2. Trim and peel your beetroot and carrot. Cut into 2-3cm chunks. Tumble into the warmed roasting dish. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and season well. Roast for 25 mins.
3. Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice your onion. Thinly slice your celery. Add them to the beetroot and carrot. Roast for a further 10 mins or till everything is tender and a little coloured around the edges.
4. Halve, stone and thinly slice the plums. Pile into a little jar with one of the star anise. Cut a few thin slices from your chilli and add to the jar. Pour in enough balsamic vinegar to cover. Swirl everything together. Set aside to steep.
5. Blend the hot roasted veg with 500ml water and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Let the motor run for 1-2 mins to get a really smooth consistency. Trickle in a little more water if needed. Taste. Add more salt and pepper or crumble in half a stock cube to get the flavour just right for you.
6. Simmer the soup with the remaining star anise for 5 mins or grind the star anise and swirl in a pinch or two to taste. Serve the soup topped with a little pinch of the pickled plums and drizzle of balsamic juices.