- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 400g parsnips
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750ml boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6.
2. Drain the chickpeas through a sieve and rinse well with cold water. Shake dry, then scatter half of them onto a roasting tin. Sprinkle over 1 tsp garam masala and pinch of salt and pepper. Toss with 1 tbsp oil and slide into the oven to roast for 20 mins.
3. Trim and peel the parsnips, then cut roughly into 1cm dice. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and crush or finely grate the garlic clove.
4. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a pan and bring to a medium heat. Slide in the onion, garlic and 1 tsp garam masala. Cook for 2-3 mins, stirring occasionally, till softened. Add the parsnips and remaining chickpeas, and pour in 750ml boiling water. Crumble in the stock cube and stir well to dissolve.
5. Bring the soup to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook with a lid on for 15 mins, till the parsnips are tender. Use a stick blender to whiz into a smooth soup. No stick blender? Simply transfer the soup to a food processor (in batches if needed) and blend.
6. Have a taste of the soup and add more salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into deep bowls and sprinkle over the roasted spiced chickpeas.