- 4-5 good-sized spuds, peeled
- 500ml veg or chicken stock, warmed
- 2 garlic cloves
- A few sprigs of rosemary and/or thyme, leaves only
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- About 150ml cream
Amazingly delicious as a meat-free main served with a big salad.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
2. Cut your spuds into 1cm-thick slices. Place in a big frying pan. Cover with the warm stock. Boil till the spuds are tender.
3. Meanwhile, chop the garlic and the herbs together.
4. When the spuds are done, scatter the garlicky herbs over with a good pinch of pepper and a little salt, if needed. Gently mix through (careful of the spuds).
5. Pour in the cream so it just covers the top of the spuds. Let it simmer and thicken for a few mins.
6. Pop in the hot oven to brown the top, 5-10 mins.