- 100g watercress
- 2 red onions
- 1 cucumber
- 3 limes
- 2 tbsp brown rice wine or cyder vinegar
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- A pinch of dried chilli flakes, to taste
- 400g smoked salmon
1. Rinse the watercress. Pick out any thick stalks. Gently pat the smaller, tender sprigs dry with kitchen paper. Put to one side.
2. Peel and very finely slice the red onions. Halve the cucumber. Make thin strips by running a vegetable peeler down the cucumber halves. Keep peeling strips off the cucumber till you get down to the seeded core.
3. Finely grate or pare the zest from the limes. Juice them. Pop the lime juice and zest in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp brown rice wine vinegar, 2 tbsp Demerara sugar, a pinch of chilli flakes and a pinch of salt.
4. Whisk the lime dressing together till the sugar dissolves. Taste and add a little more salt and dried chilli flakes if you think it needs it.
5. Divide the watercress, some red onion and cucumber ribbons between 6-8 small serving plates or pile it all onto on big platter to bring to the table. Top with the smoked salmon.
6. Spoon the dressing over the smoked salmon salads. Serve straight away.