- ½ red onion
- Sea salt
- 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250g cherry vine tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 120g tinned mackerel fillets in sunflower oil
- 200g giant couscous
- 350ml boiling water
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- Natural yogurt, to serve
1. Peel the red onion and slice half of it as thinly as possible. Slide the sliced onion into a small bowl. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt and squeeze in the juice from half of the lemon (save the other half of the lemon for later in the recipe). Scrunch the onion, salt and lemon juice together and set the bowl aside
2. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
3. Pour 1 tbsp oil onto a medium pan and warm it to a medium heat. Add the garlic and cherry tomatoes, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the garlic and tomatoes for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till the tomatoes begin to soften.
4. Drain a little oil out of the tin of mackerel, then tip the mackerel fillets and remaining oil into the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer. Use a wooden spoon to break up the chunks of fish if needed. Stir 200g giant couscous into the pan and top up with 350ml boiling water. Return the pan to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Pop a lid on the pan and cook for 15 mins, till the couscous is tender.
5. Roughly chop the parsley leaves and stalks. Add the chopped parsley to the couscous and squeeze in the juice from the remaining lemon half. Stir in an extra 1 tbsp oil. Divide the couscous between plates. Serve with yogurt and the quick pickled onions.