- 4 eating apples
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 125g plain flour
- 70g cold, unsalted butter
- Double cream or custard, to serve
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20-25 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Peel, core and roughly chop the apples, and tip them into a bowl. Add ½ tsp mixed spice and 1 tbsp sugar and stir to mix. Spoon the spiced apple pieces into a small, ovenproof dish – around 1 ltr – and set it to one side.
2. Sift the flour into a clean bowl. Chop the butter into the bowl. Add a small pinch of salt. Use your fingertips to rub the butter and flour together till they begin to form clumps and make a chunky, sandy mixture.
3. Spoon the crumble mixture over the apples to cover them. Slide the dish into the oven and bake for 20-25 mins till golden and bubbling. Let the crumble cool in the dish for a few mins, then serve in bowls with plenty of custard, or cream.