- 1kg topside of beef
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cayenne chilli
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lime
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35-45 mins + resting
1. Heat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Take the beef out of the fridge, unwrap it and pat it dry with kitchen paper. Pop it on a plate or board and let it sit at room temperature for around 30 mins to warm it up.
2. While the beef comes to room temperature, make the spice paste. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Halve the chilli and flick out the seeds and white pith (or leave them in for extra heat). Chop the chilli as finely as you can, then place in a bowl with the garlic.
3. Stir 1 tsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika into the bowl. Finely grate in the zest from the lime and squeeze in the juice. Add a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp oil. Stir together to make a paste.
4. Rub the spice paste all over the beef to coat it. Place the beef snugly in a roasting tin and slide into the oven. Roast for 35 mins for rare, 45 mins for medium.
5. Take the beef out of the oven, transfer the joint to a warm plate or board and loosely cover with foil. Let it sit for 30 mins before carving and serving.