- 800g tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp vegan tofu basil pesto
- 4 garlic cloves
- 76g gnochetti or fusilli pasta
- A handful of sage, leaves only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 600ml water
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Slice the tomatoes into 6 wedges each. Peel and cut the onion into thick wedges. Pop all the wedges into a roasting tin. Drop in the garlic cloves and drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat in the seasoned oil. Slide into the oven and roast for 20 mins.
2. After 20 mins, carefully pluck out the garlic cloves and set aside. Turn the tomatoes over. Slide back into the oven to roast for a further 20 mins.
3. While the tomatoes roast, finely chop the sage leaves. Pour 600ml water into a large pan, set on the hob and bring to a boil. When the tomatoes have 8 mins left, and the water is boiling, add the pasta with a pinch of salt. Simmer for 8 mins.
4. After 40 mins total, remove the tomatoes from the oven. They‘ll be lightly charred and soft. Add most of the sage leaves to the tomatoes. Using a hand blender, blitz the tomatoes till smooth, then add them to the pasta and cooking water. No blender? Use a potato masher to crush the tomatoes instead. Stir the tomatoes, pasta and water together, adding a little more hot water if you need to.
5. Taste the soup and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and top each with a good dollop of vegan pesto. Scatter over the remaining sage leaves and crack over some black pepper to serve.