- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole wild pigeons
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g wild mushrooms
- A handful of sage, leaves only
- 50g butter
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins | Total: 25 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into an ovenproof frying pan and warm it on a high heat. Rub the pigeons with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. When the pan is hot, add the pigeons, breast-side down. Cook for 4 mins, allowing 2 mins on each breast, till browned. Turn the pigeons over so they’re sitting breast-side up in the pan and slide it into the oven for 8-10 mins, till the pigeons are roasted and pink in the middle. Lift the roast pigeons out onto a plate and set aside to rest.
2. While the pigeons are roasting, peel and thinly slice the garlic. Brush the wild mushrooms clean if needed. Pick the sage leaves.
3. Set the empty pigeon pan back on a medium heat. Add the butter to the pan, let it melt then add the mushrooms, garlic and sage. Fry the mushrooms for 3-4 mins, turning once or twice, till golden and tender.
4. Serve the roast pigeons topped with the mushrooms, sage and butter. Perfect with a side of game chips, roast potatoes or creamy mash.